In today’s uncertain health climate, having a health ministry is important. Ensuring those you serve get the information needed to make life enhancing decisions is imperative.
If your organization seeks to start a health ministry, it can begin with these steps:
BEGIN WITH DOING YOUR HOMEWORK:
Perform research. Ask questions. Talk to organizations that have health ministries. Call health institutions and inquire about information you can share.
GET SUPPORT FROM LEADERSHIP:
Your leadership must be on board to ensure the congregation is informed and to ensure ongoing support as the ministry grows.
GATHER A TEAM:
You can’t grow a health ministry with a few people. Invite interested members of your congregation, educators, medical professionals, school nurses, dieticians, representatives from local health care providers, and others who have an interest in promoting health and wellness to support your efforts.
CREATE A PLAN:
Try answering the following questions: What do you hope to accomplish and how will you do it?
SURVEY THE CONGREATION:
What do people in the congregation feel they need most? What specific health issues are most prevalent in your community? What are the three top health concerns?
BEGIN WITH THE NEEDS OF YOUR CONGREGATION:
You can begin by regularly providing information on the topics most important to them.
· Team members make brief presentations in Sunday School classes
· Put a “nugget” of health information in the bulletin each week
· Ask your leader to deliver a message emphasizing the need to maintain good health
· Distribute printed information about topics of concern to people
· Text healthy tips
ENLIST THE COMMUNITY:
· Partner with other churches in a weight loss contest
· Hold a “Health Fair”
· Start a study of the scriptures about good health
· Involve the youth
· Develop a cookbook of healthy recipes for your congregation
· Arrange Family Activity Nights once a month (or weekly)
· Start an exercise program for the congregation
· Partner with other congregations for a community wide outreach
These should get you started. For more information, reach out to us for specific guidance on building your health ministry at firstname.lastname@example.org
(Source: Extracted from The Community Foundation of Northwest Mississippi)